Friday, October 14, 2011

In times of great despair ...

Many of us go through difficult situations with those we love and often feel lost and confused. I recently had a strain in my bond with one of the most important people in my life, someone I have always looked up to. We had an argument and I lost control for a brief moment. I looked to God and, right away, I apologized for my mistake and moved on. This, in turn, was the beginning of absence in my life for about a month. The first few weeks of being avoided and ignored were painful. I would go through bouts of anger, resentment and sadness but I continued to talk to God and take in my daily Bible readings. I prayed for my loved one and for my own strength and clarity. Fortunately, life can be pretty occupied when you have a nearing 2 year old and my priority is my family so that got me through the rest of the weeks. I felt sad when I would reach out with no success until one day I called this person and they answered. They answered my call.

I said I love you and I am so sorry and they returned with the pain I caused them. I can't speak for this person but I believe they did their part, although, I wasn't out for an argument. Arguments are too easy. The difficulty many have is swallowing their pride. Could I have retaliated and cast some blame onto this person? Could I have described past situations that were equal to my offense but done by that person? I certainly could have, and then what? I would have upset the person further and possibly caused a deeper disconnect, nothing would be resolved and I am sure I would be left with that "well I got that out of my system feeling" where you think you'll feel better afterwards but you don't. This person needed to be in my life and if taking full responsibility for the issue and being truly sincere about that was the way to bandage the situation then, of course, there is no question to what I was to do.

Every single time I trust the Lord, He comes through for me and gives me the strength, the comfort, the love I need and I know He'll always be there for me in that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment